Professor of Mathematics
University of Vermont,
16 Colchester Ave
Burlington, VT 05401 USA
Office hours: MWF 1:15-2:30
Math 242, Real Analysis II, Spring 2013
A Pizza and Volleyball Party for Some Abstract Algebra Students at My Home:
Organizer for conference on Stark's Conjectures and
Johns Hopkins University, August 5-9, 2002.
Co-Editor of Stark's
Conjectures: Recent Work and New Directions, (proceedings
of same conference).
Organizer for the ALGORITHMIC NUMBER THEORY
SYMPOSIUM (ANTS) VI, University of Vermont, June 13-18, 2004.
Organizer for the Conference in Honor Of Harold
Stark's 65th Birthday, University of Minnesota, August 5-7, 2004.
Plenary speaker at Palmetto Number Theory Seminar, College of Charleston, Charleston, SC, Sept. 8-9, 2007. Some Galois module structure analogies between tame kernels and ideal class groups. pdf
Host for Phi Beta Kappa Visiting Scholar Andrew Odlyzko, University of Vermont, April 6-7, 2010.
number theory, especially Iwasawa Theory, L-functions, and
computations in algebraic number fields. My work has focused on
unravelling some of the mysteries of algebraic number theory embodied
by Stark's conjecture, Leopoldt's conjecture, and unresolved questions
in classical Iwasawa theory.
- Popescu's conjecture in Multiquadratic
in ``Stark's Conjectures: Recent Work and
New Directions" (proceedings of the International Conference on Stark's
Conjectures and Related Topics), AMS, Providence, RI (2004), 127-142. pdf
- Values at s=-1 of L-functions for multiquadratic extensions of number fields, and annihilation of the tame kernel (with L. Simons), J. London Math. Soc. 76 (2007), 545-555. pdf
- L-values and the Fitting ideal of the tame kernel for relative quadratic extensions, Acta Arithmetica 131 (2008), 389-402. pdf
- Values at s=-1 of L-functions for multi-quadratic extensions of number fields, and the Fitting ideal of the tame kernel, International Journal of Number Theory 5 (2009), 383-405. pdf
- Functorial properties of Stark units in multiquadratic extensions (with
B. A. Tangedal), in Proceedings of the 8th Algorithmic Number
Theory Symposium, Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Volume 5011 (2008), 253-267. abstract
- Annihilation of motivic cohomology groups in cyclic 2-extensions (with M. Kolster), Ann. Sci. Math. Quebec 32 (2008), 175-187. pdf
- L-values for biquadratic extensions and the Fitting ideal of the tame kernel, Ann. Sci. Math. Quebec. 34 (2010), 109-118. pdf
- L-functions at the origin and annihilation of class groups in multiquadratic extensions, preprint. pdf slides of talk
- L-functions at s=-1 and annihilation of the S- tame kernel in multiquadratic extensions slides of talk