----- NOVEMBER 15, 2006 ----
POST-DOC Position Available: Heterogeneous Chemistry of Airborne Particles (Start Date ~ June 2007)
HOW TO APPLY (click here)
- Zhong Chen (Post-doctoral scholar, Dec 2003 - Aug 2006). Vehicle-derived particle polar organic compound formation via reaction with ambient ozone and NOx.
- Fukuya Iino (Dreyfus Post-doctoral scholar, Feb - Aug 2004) co-advised w/J. Helble. Ambient aerosol sulfate composition and formation processes.
- Jin Young Shin (Post-doctoral scholar, Mar 2002 - Apr 2004). Herbicide gas/particle partitioning.
- Ryoji Shiraki (Post-doctoral scholar, 2000-2001). Crystalline silica from stationary sources.
- B. Todd Hefner (Post-doctoral scholar, 2000-2001). Lidar string calibration.
- Juan Suro-Pérez (Post-doctoral scholar, 2000-2002). North Coast watershed runoff.
- Birsen Buyuktas (Post-doctoral scholar, 1999-2000). North Coast watershed organic contaminants.
[+] Back to top
Ph.D. Candidate Supervision
Opportunities for NEW graduate students at UVM - -click here!
- Wenli Yang (Ph.D., expected Dec. 2006). Effect of field formulation on herbicide partitioning to soils and airborne particles. Currently a post-doc at UCDavis.
- Yinge Qu (Ph.D. candidate 2004). Light-duty vehicle modal emissions.
- Mingyan Zhou (Ph.D., entered Fall 2002; left UConn June 2003). Vehicle-derived nanoparticle composition.
- Kathy Nanzetta (CEE, Ph.D. March 2004). Vehicle emissions modeling/ air pollution. Co-adviser with D. Niemeier (CEE) and C. Anastasio (Atmospheric Science).
[+] Back to top
Masters Student Supervision
- Andrew Weeks (M.S. Plan A, CEE). Modeling mobile source air toxic emissions in Connecticut with Mobile 6.
- Derek Vikara (M.S. Plan A, ENVE August 2005). Hybrid diesel-electric transit bus PM emissions.
- Yingge Qu (M.S., ENVE August 2004). Transit bus particle size distributions.
- David Vail (M.S. ENVE Professional Practice, May 2004).
- Saskia van Bergen (Ag & Environ Chemistry, M.S. 2003). Organic chemical signatures of on-road vehicle particulate matter by pyrolysis GC/MS and time-of-flight MS.
- Amy Clymo (CEE, M.S. 2002). USDA herbicide-dust flux.
- Kristine Kuhna (CEE, M.S. 2000) North Coast Watershed Metals in Road Runoff.
[+] Back to top
The following undergraduate students worked in my research group or under my direction while they were undergraduate students.
- Michelle Przybylek (ENVE freshman) Diesel exhaust particle emissions modeling. Fall 2005. Spring 2006.
- Samantha Scharpf (ENVE freshman) GC/MS of diesel exhaust polar compounds. Fall 2005. Spring 2006.
- Christopher Shores (ENVE junior) Herbicide soil partitioning. Summer 2005.
- Brad Harwood (ENVE freshman) Comparison of real-time particle emissions from diesel and hybrid electric transit buses, Spring 2004, Summer 2004.
- Laura Radice (ENVE junior) Composition of polar organic compounds on vehicle-derived particulate matter, Summer 2003, Summer 2004.
- Jason Lewandowski (ENVE junior) ELPI measurements of transit bus particulate matter, Summer 2003, Summer 2004.
- Leslie Burton (CEE senior) Mobile source emissions literature research, Spring 2003.
- Dan Seremet (ENVE senior) Characterization of Soil Resuspension Chamber, Spring 2003.
- Tomasz Malinger (Student from Poland) Visiting researcher Summer 2002, Summer 2003.
- Dan Seremet (ENVE junior) Preliminary proposed laboratory assessment of BTEX removal from contaminated soil by volatilization. Independent Study.
- Erzsébet Pócsi (ENVE, graduate 2002) Particulate matter in the Grand Canyon: Effects on Visibility. Honors Thesis.
- Jennette Sison (June 2000 received MPH at Univ. of Michigan) -- Hydroxamate siderophores and Fe(III) cycling in an anaerobic goethite medium.
- Benjamin Ashbaugh (Computer Science Engineering, B.S. 2000, UCSD) -- Lidar Data Analysis Program correlation routine for wind analysis with lidar.
- Rashi Gupta (CEE B.S.; currently: graduate student, Univ. of Texas) – “PM2.5 emissions near roadways.”UCD Undergraduate Research Conference oral presentation.
- Elaine Moon (Environmental Resource Science; currently: graduate student, Oregon State University) – “Development of a tribal values index for wetlands.” UCD Undergraduate Research Conference oral presentation.
- Christopher Van Wert (ME; currently graduate student at Stanford) -- Construction of a PM sampler for real-time monitoring of diesel bus emissions.
- Charles Xie (CSE; currently senior, UCD) -- Lidar Data Analysis Program (LidarDAP) programming.
Erik Merriman (CEE) “Is coal tar slurry an effective safeguard for lead soil contamination beneath model airport surfaces?” UCD Undergraduate Research Conference oral presentation.
- Cindy Vahey (CEE) “Effect of surface particles on lead levels in stormwater runoff caused by discarded aviation fuel.” UCD Undergraduate Research Conference oral presentation.
[+] Back to top